Thursday, December 01, 2005

Night Life

I tell you, this is the life. What life? Where could I be you wonder? (or maybe not.) I am at work. It's 2:52 am, and I am the only link between 124 sleeping people and outside danger (many eyed, horned monsters, for instance.) Ah, the life of a night auditor. I love it. If the shift didn't make for such a shitty social life, I'd probably do this full time again. At a nice hotel, though. If I were doing audit at my previous job, I'd shoot myself. Too many drugs, stabbings, and illegal goings-on. But at a nice hotel, it's bliss. I'm awake this time of night anyway. Night auditors get paid more than regular front desk clerks, and they get to sit on their ass more. In about 1/2 an hour I'm going to go watch Inuyasha and then take a stroll around my hotel. It is my hotel tonight. The hotel is quiet and there is no activity (for the most part. And I'm talking about people being out of their rooms. What you do in your room is your business, as long as it doesn't involve illegal activity, then it's not my business.) Sometimes there are students who are studying for their midterm, and they sit in the lobby writing on their laptops watching cartoons with me. Sometimes people can't sleep and need to walk around a bit. Sometimes the lonely manage to find me and chat a bit with me while I'm working. Most of the time, the nice time, I'm by myself. I can talk to myself, I can sing, I can swear, I can watch television, I can think anything I want. I CAN SIT DOWN, take my shoes off, and write on my blog if I care to. I turned the Muzak down, I've got U2 playing, (which is better than shitty Christmas jazz any day,) and I'm really quite pleased. I'm going to be studying, and I have a couple more things to do, but luckily my night is going fast. If you have never worked a week of night shifts, I highly suggest it. ESPECIALLY at a hotel. It's fun to have the time to do what you need to do. I needed to work on my blog, and get some Deutsch time in, and I'm gonna be able to do it.
The best part of the whole day though, is when I get to go home. I get to stop off at the ocean if I want and watch the sun rise. I don't have to wake up extra early and try to make it there on time. I can go there and tool around all I want. Of course, at the end of today, I'm going swimming. But when I'm a full time auditor I'll be ocean bound most of the time. How can a person go wrong with the night shift?


Currently listening to: U2 mix CD (U2 Relaxo)

2 Comments:

<$I18NCommentAuthorAdded$>

I go through periods where I'd like to work as a night auditor, but have never been able to get hired as one (i really don't know why either). You sure make it sound nice! And it's cool to hear somebody just enjoying their life :-)

7:27 PM  
<$I18NCommentAuthorAdded$>

Sounds a lot less stressful then my job could be. If it wasn't for my co-workers, I would be in heaven.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home